Brief History About Tezpur
The Legend of Tezpur :
|Tezpur literally means ‘the city of blood’, reminds of the romantic legend of Usha and Anirudha. The legend revolves around Banasura, the great Asura king of ancient Tezpur, his beautiful daughter Usha and her friend Chitralekha. The princess saw a handsome prince in her dreams and fell in love with him. Chitralekha, a talented artist, not only painted his portrait from Usha's description but recognised him to be Aniruddha, the grandson of Lord Krishna and ruler of Dwarka. Using her magical powers, Chitralekha spirited Aniruddha away to the princess' boudoir where the two married each other according to Gandharva rites, without the knowledge of the king. When Banasura learnt of the clandestine romance, he imprisoned Aniruddha, which led to the arrival of Lord Krishna to rescue his grandson. A fierce battle followed and the entire city was drenched in human blood, hence the name Tezpur, i.e. ‘the city of blood’ .|
It was during the Mleccha dynasty or the line of Salastambha (from the last part of the 7th Century A.D. to the 10th century A.D), that the city was known as Haruppesvera or Hadapervara or Hadapesvara or Hatapesvara. The Tezpur Rock Inscriptions of Harjar Varma is of 829-30 A.D. The Tezpur and the Parbatia Copper Plates of Vanamats (middle of the 9th century A.D.), the Bargaon Grant of Ratnapala (circa 1035 A.D.) also reflect the city’s historical importance. Da-parbatia Door frame located at Da-parbatia near Tezpur is regarded as one of the excellent pieces of monumental art in stone in Assam. Although the city lost its importance during the medieval era, it was soon to regain it when the British came. Considering its strategic importance the colonial rulers first made it in to a garrison town. Gradually it became an important centre of trade and commerce, used as a river port for the surrounding tea gardens and other colonial commercial ventures in the hinterland. In 1835, Tezpur became headquarter of Darrang District. In the 1962 Chinese aggression, the city faced the apprehension of invasion, and bears a Memorial near the Circuit House as a testimony of that. In 1983, the Darrang District was partitioned, and Tezpur became the headquarter of Sonitpur District.
|Tourist Spots in Tezpur Town|
|Chitralekha Udyan (Cole Park):|
It is, undoubtedly, one of the most beautiful places in Tezpur. Established by a British Deputy Commissioner, Mr. Cole in 1906, the park has two massive ornamented stone pillars, and other sculptural remnants . It was recently renovated and revitalized in 1996 under the stewardship of the then Deputy Commissioner, Mr. M.G.V.K.Bhanu, IAS. It has water sports facility, walk ways, restaurant and open air stage.
This hillock on bank of river Brahmaputra is the site of legendary romance of princess Usha (the only daughter of king Bana) and Anirudha, grand son of lord Krishna. Usha was kept on this hillock which was surrounded by fire, hence the name of Agnigarh. Agnigarh provides a panoramic view of the great river and Tezpur. Recently Agnigarh has been developed as a beautiful park by district administration. It has a series of sculptures depicting the mythology ,open air stage, giant mushrooms and huge water fall .
This is a beautiful lake with an island. The island has been developed into a beautiful park with a musical fountain. There is an iron bridge to take you to the island. On the lake one can boat.
|District Museum at Dak Bungalow|
Dak Bungalow is an old and beautiful British era building in heart of the town. Recently it has been renovated and now houses the District Museum.
This is a park along Borpukhuri. This has been named after the three jewels of Assamese culture: Rupkowar Jyoti Prasad Agarwalla, Kalaguru Bishnu Prasad Rabha and Natasurjya Phani Sarmah.
|The Hazara Pukhuri
It is a large tank in name of Harjar Varman in Tezpur. It was excavated in the early part of the 9th century.
The ruins of Bamuni Hills are famous for their exemplary artistic finesse. The sculptural remains date back to the ninth and tenth century A.D.
Ruins of the door frame of Da Parbatia temple, a few kilometres away from Tezpur, is perhaps the finest and oldest specimen of sculptural art in Assam. Its carving is characteristic of the early Gupta school of sculpture.
The ancient temple of Mahabhairab stands to the north of Tezpur town. This temple is believed to have been established by king Bana with a Siva lingam. Formerly, this temple was built of stone but the present one is built of concrete. During the later years, the Ahom kings donated devottar land for the Temple and Pujaris and Paiks were appointed to look after the temple. The responsibility of management was in the hands of a Bordoloi or Borthakur .But now the affairs of the temple is managed by the Government through a managing committee headed by Deputy Commissioner. Sivaratri is celebrated in the Temple in a big manner.
It is 10 km to the north of Tezpur, near Tezpur- Balipara main road. A linga was found by a cultivator ( Hallowa) while he was ploughing in the field. A temple was constructed initially on this linga. Later , the Ahom King Rudra Singha constructed the temple in 1705 AD.
To the east of Tezpur town, on the bank of river Brahmaputra the Rudrapada temple is situated. It is believed that Rudra ( Lord Shiva ) had left the print of his left foot (pada) on a stone found in the temple. It is believed that Mahadeva showed his real self to king Bana here. Rudrapada temple was later built by Siva Singha in the year 1730 A.D. The main temple was destroyed, due to erosion of river Brahmaputra.
|Nine lines Inscription of Harjjar Varma |
About 2 kms away from the heart of the town, close to the Rudrapada temple on the bank of river Brahmaputra the famous nine line inscription of Harjjar Varma (approximately – 815 – 834 AD) is seen. This inscription is of 829-30 A.D. This is found engraved on a stone. This inscription is archaeologically important.
|Bhairabi Devalaya |
Bhairabi temple is situated on a small hillock on the bank of river Brahmaputra. It is in the eastern side of Tezpur. Tradition has it that "Usha" the daughter of King Banasur, used to offer puja to the Goddess Bhairabi regularly. Bhairabi is another form of Durga.. The temple we see here now, is newly built. There is no sign of the old temple. It is believed to be destroyed by various natural calamities. Ruins of old temple are lying scattered around the temple.
It is a mammoth stone inscription made by the Ahom General Kalia Bhomora Borphukan, who planned to construct a bridge over Brahmaputra. Almost two centuries later, a bridge at the same site now stands completed. The 3.015 km bridge, named after the great Ahom general, connects Silghat of Nagaon district with Tezpur.